Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Worried About a Friend

It's hard for me to write about, it's hard for me to even think about, but the amazing, powerful, victorious head of Get Born is really sick. Really, really sick right now.

There are so many things I don't understand about cancer but the biggest thing is why? Heather L has had breast cancer for as long as I've known her, which is almost four years now. She has gone through so many cycles of suffering with different treatments, and so many additional illnesses that have made the cancer treatments even more unbearable.

And despite a totally yucky divorce situation, she has retained the bright beauty of her daughters, who make all her struggles totally worth it. Heather also possesses a totally fierce tribe of women friends who basically parade through her life bringing meals, rides, company, massages, laughter, cleaning services, and healing touch.

I don't know how Heather does it, how she finds the silver lining even when things are so desperate, but I do know that when the time comes for me to fight for my life, I really hope to have a tribe half as fierce and half as generous as Heather's.

So today I'm holding Heather in my heart, hoping for better treatment options and light at the end of the tunnel. Because she has been in this terrible tunnel for much too long.

Some of the Get Born bloggers and Heather at a feminist blogger's discussion

No comments:

Post a Comment