Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

It's the Pits

Being an adult is the pits, some days.

Yesterday, our furnace gasped its last. So we had to get a new one, lickety-split. This, less than a week after we bought our first new car. Sheesh.

So we got a new furnace, thank goodness, and I'm really grateful for it, but now Maeve and I won't be able to go visit my parents in England this summer.

I haven't told her yet. I'm waiting for it to come up naturally. But I totally dread the sadness it's going to bring.

A parent is always going to be the first person to really disappoint their kids, even if it's through no fault of their own, and that truth is just the worst. I don't want to let her down, but what can I do? Life is just like that. Besides, the trip is not cancelled forever, it's postponed till next year. 

But I know for Maeve, it will feel like forever. And truthfully, it'll feel like that for me, too. 

Gosh, do I hate letting her down. But life is what happens while we're busy making other plans.

And she will still find lots of things to smile about.

Like a good playdate!

No comments:

Post a Comment