Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Testing, Testing

Today Maeve takes her very first ever standardized test.

I am determined not to be dead set against this thing, although I mistrust it. After all, this semester it will take just 20 minutes of her time, so it's hopefully not dominating her teacher's schedule too badly this year.

But if my child is one of those who gets anxiety about tests, at some point in the future, you can bet I will be pulling her from excessive tests and making sure she knows these tests, though important to her school, are not actually any kind of measure of herself, personally.

I really, really hate the testing culture that has overtaken our educational system in this country and I keep hoping and hoping the pendulum will finally swing the other way.

But for today, go ahead and measure my kid with your test, Jefferson County. If it means that much to you, you can have 20 minutes of her time today. But after that, please leave us the %*@& alone!

Because, really? Her genius is immesurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment