Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Upside to Sick

So I have been sick for a week now, and it is the pits, officially. My cough has gotten so bad that a real coughing fit really hurts. A lot.

We've been taking it easy all of Labor Day weekend. No plans, no church, nothing more strenuous than taking Maeve for a haircut. But I still feel like death warmed over by a crappy microwave.

But now that Maeve has grown some empathy muscles, this experience is very different for me. It used to be that when I got sick, she got permanently annoyed with me for not being fast enough at anticipating her whims. So I had to deal with feeling awful and also being angry at my kid for not understanding or caring that I was SICK.

Now things are different. Maeve brings me drawings to cheer me up, she gets her own snacks so I don't have to schlep up the stairs again. And best of all, when I have a really painful coughing fit that brings tears to my eyes, she throws her arms around me and says, It's okay, Mommy. It's okay. 

So even though I'm sick as a dog right now, I feel a little bit spoiled. And it's marvelous.

And she brings me dandelions.

No comments:

Post a Comment