Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Let's Talk

I know there are a zillion designations for each month of the year anymore. It's not just difficult to keep up with all of it, it's impossible. I know it's already breast cancer and domestic violence prevention month, but it's also "Let's Talk" month, a time set aside to talk you your kids about sex.

Are you already making a spot on the couch for your kid to sit next to you? So excited? Ha, me either, but it is so important, especially nowadays. And I picked up a library book yesterday to help prepare me for some of the talks that are in my present, and some that are in my future.


And today's post is really just a plug for this book. Here's what I love about it. It's written comic book style, so it's very quick and easy to read. There are lots of pictures - pictures I'm grateful I don't have to draw, frankly, because I'm not sure I could draw an accurate diagram of female anatomy, at least not that would make any sense.

The four kids who are asking all the questions, those four on the cover, are not just culturally different, they also have varying gender expression, and different approaches to asking questions about sex. I could see how useful it is to have a variety of kids with their own unique ideas asking questions and discussing these topics, so that many kids find a voice.

What's really important to me is that this book reflects my values around sex. It's non-gender-binary, does not assume that children are all straight and white, and makes room for a wide variety of sexual and gender expression. I know that's not something that's important to everyone, but it really matters to me. I want Maeve, when she gets there, to feel completely free to be herself.

Another really great aspect of this book is that it encourages reflection, whether written or spoken. I think it would be great to get your older kid journaling and thinking about these topics.

Now, 35% of this book is not appropriate for Maeve at this age. It's geared toward 8-10 year olds, which is why I want to buy it for a few years from now. But some of the material isn't just appropriate for Maeve, it's absolutely necessary. So I'll take a look at a few of the pages with her this week. Guys, do it your own way, but don't forget, we owe it to our kids to give them information about this most sensitive of subjects. Let's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment