Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Playground Jerks

You know what I don't get? Maeve still gets flack about her hair, mostly from boys we don't know. One kid apparently approached her at the park yesterday, out of the blue, and said, Hey, how come you're a boy and you're wearing girl clothes? Maeve looked him in his eyeballs and told him, I'm a girl. I just like to wear my hair short. And when Daddy asked her later if he had hurt her feelings, she said no, and acted puzzled as to why she should be hurt.

Which, you know, thank goodness. But what business is it of yours, little stranger boy? What if she were a boy wearing girls' clothes? What then? Nothing, that's what. You better figure out that that stuff doesn't matter, not even a little bit. Everybody's allowed to wear what they want, even closed-minded little punks like you.

I mean, theoretical little punks. I didn't see it go down, maybe he was just curious. But Daddy told me he was pretty rude. I know if I'd been there, I would have blurted out, People are allowed to wear whatever clothes they want, you know! Because that's just how I roll.

And because maybe someday it will hurt her feelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment