Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Parent-Teacher Conferences

Yesterday, I got to hang out for almost half an hour and chat with Maeve's teacher, and I definitely learned a lot about what her days are like at school.

I learned the good news, that of course her test scores are very high, she's very bright, and knows a lot. And that her clowning around behavior that she loves to do in line isn't showing up in class, which is good.

The only thing her teacher asked us to help her work on is focus. She tends to be very easily distracted in class and often doesn't finish her work because she's looking around at what all the other kids are doing. I got a laugh when her teacher asked us if we had any tips or tricks to help her focus. I told her we have the exact same problem at home doing homework, but that if I figure anything out, I'll let her know.

I was a little disheartened to hear that she's so distracted in class, but I'm not surprised. I got to thinking, if she was actually learning about things she's interested in, her focus might improve. But the only way to make that happen would be to put her in Montessori school which is just not in our budget or our area. It does make me wonder if I should have her evaluated for the gifted program for next year, but that would mean pulling her from her current school, which I really don't want to do.

We shall see. I'm jumping the gun a little. After all, her teacher says she's already seeing improvement in her focus, so maybe she will just figure it out. At least I can remind her while we walk to school that she needs to keep doing her best to stay on task. It's just hard for me to relate to, I always kind of loved most schoolwork. But little Maeve is just not me, as I have noted for the past 5 years.

Even though we may look alike, a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment