Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Miles

"Let your love cover me,
Like a pair of angel wings,
You are my family" - Dar Williams, Family

Two years ago I listened to this Dar Williams song and cried, sitting in front of my computer.  It was a good kind of cry, though, so I let it go on as long as it wanted, putting the song on repeat. It brought up the emotion I miss most about having my parents near: feeling completely safe.

My parents live in England, and have since my junior year of college.  I was never one of those kids who hated their parents or wished they could have someone else's.  I was the kid that thought my dad was the smartest guy in the world, and my mom has become one of my best friends.  I didn't ever really go through a rebellious phase with them ... well, I might be going through it now ... but we share so many opinions and beliefs and hopes.  So this move of theirs was not exactly welcome. 

I kind of hate that they're in another country while my little girl is so young and changeable, while I need so much advice and input.  I have my husband's parents relatively closeby, and I'm so grateful for that, but nothing trumps talking to your mom when you're a new mom. 

I'm glad my dad followed his dream and became a professor, it's perfectly suited to him and I know his students really get the benefit of his experience and teaching style.  And my mom is happy in England, where she's free to make friends her own way.  I know that if they could financially swing it, they'd be back here in a heartbeat to see every spare minute of Maeve's babyhood.  But the reality is, they can't. 

So when they retire in ten years, they'll move back here, and in the meantime, we'll travel there once a year and they'll come here at Christmas.  We use Skype twice a week, so they get to see her little face and all her new accomplishments, for which I am so very grateful.  But some days I really feel the miles.

Maeve hanging out with Grandma

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, but not to the extreme. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard being away from family. My very best friend moved to Australia with her family, and comes back to the states once a year, and her dad visits Aus. once a year as well. They use Skype as well. It's a blessing to have so many tools to keep in touch! Keep your chin up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for Skype and email; it really makes me wonder how separated families managed before the wonders of the internet.

    ReplyDelete