Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Flea Market

"When I go to a country, I go to flea markets, antique stores. I am always looking for something. "  -Ursula Andress

I have already written about how much I love clearance and resale/thrift items, but yesterday my husband introduced me to the Mile High Flea Market.  It was one of those perfect Colorado fall days where the sky was clear, the sun was shining, and it was about sixty degrees all day.  The bright yellow leaves made us a carpet everywhere we went, and the smell of turkey legs roasting and kettle corn popping were in the air.  We all had a great time, and within five minutes of beginning the hunt, we scored Maeve's big Christmas present for a mere $15.  I felt like a superhero.  Super Awesome Deal-Finding Mom.

We had been plotting for months to find or make Maeve a play kitchen, since she's the right age for it and would possibly be willing to play in her kitchen while Momma plays in the big one.  We had thought of making our own play kitchen for her out of an entertainment center or small set of shelves, but the one we found yesterday was perfect: an intact, already-made play kitchen in fair condition, made of wood, and very sweet.  Did I mention it sold at Target for $120?  That's right, we saved 90%.

Soon we will be overhauling it. changing paint colors, fixing a loose oven door, and hanging pots and pans on its little rack.  We had to drop a little more cash on the items to fix it up, but all told this play kitchen still won't run us more than $40 plus the time we spend working on it.  I just know Maeve is going to get a kick out of playing with it, and it might buy me a little time to make dinner at night.

I would also like to say that our Denver flea market has some darned fine churros.  We went back for seconds.  So between the snacks and the finds, we had a great time at the Flea Market and will definitely be back next year!

As we found her.  I will post pics when she's spruced up!

3 comments:

  1. Great find! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! Pam and I had a Strawberry Shortcake play kitchen when we were little - best toy EVER. The Sweetpea is going to have so much fun!! Also, we need to work on your superhero name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't like Super Awesome Deal-Finding Mom? lol

    ReplyDelete