Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mirror Maeve

"I stare at myself in the mirror and I think, 'Wow, I'm really great-looking.'... I think I'm the greatest, anyway."  -Iggy Pop

Maeve could have uttered the same words as Iggy Pop- and she's a whole lot more attractive than he is!  But that cute girl in the mirror is her new best friend.

We had a mirror up for her when she was eight or nine months old because it was a good developmental step for her at the time, and frankly a good distraction from all the things she was trying to get into, but we took it down and replaced it with an alphabet poster after awhile.

This last weekend, Daddy was trying to entertain Maeve at the thrift store while I looked for coats for her, and he wheeled her stroller in front of a mirror.  In seconds, Maeve was grinning, acting shy, giggling, and generally having a great time.  We put our mirror back up at home, and it's been a big hit ever since.

She knows for sure that the girl in the mirror is her; I can tell because she raises her hands, plays with her hair, and generally shows that she recognizes herself.  But it also makes her very happy, and she's all smiles in front of the mirror.

I told Daddy we were turning her into a little Narcissus, but luckily she's easily distracted and tends to head off for greener pastures every few minutes.  But I think if she consistently remembered how much she loves looking in the mirror, it would be hard to pry her away without cookies!


2 comments:

  1. Love that photo of Maeve flirting with herself! (And it makes me feel better that Sammy's not the only budding Narcissus out there, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mirror is not always kind to us ladies; I hope she never stops loving what she sees.

    ReplyDelete