Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

I Feel Safer

So, yesterday, a young man confessed to his mother, and subsequently the police, that he killed Jessica Ridgeway.  He was immediately taken into custody, and his car was taken to look for evidence. 

A good friend texted me and let me know when it happened, I was immersed in an episode of Backyardigans at the time, with Maeve of course.  Just the night before, I had dreamed that there were lions and tigers roaming free in our neighborhood, which I think was a reflection of the fear I had been feeling.  While we still didn't know who the killer was, I felt a constant dread in the pit of my stomach.  I was dreading the finding of another body, the loss of another child, and my worst fear was that it would be my own girl.

As it turns out, the person who confessed is a 17 year old boy, although it appears he's being tried as an adult, since his name and details were released by the press.  I honestly don't know how his mother feels, but then, I can't fully put myself in Jessica's parents' shoes, either.  Both parents have suffered and will suffer immensely. 

Events like this make me grateful my daughter is too young to ask me questions about current events.  I will have to figure out what to say about senseless and horrifying crimes, but not yet.  For now I just keep on holding her close, squeezing the daylights out of every last hug, treasuring her as best I can.  The world is uncertain and can inspire fear, but at the same time, love is the light that always, always comes through the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment