Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Waiting for Christmas

"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. " -Calvin Coolidge

I am grateful to have a husband who is willing to be flexible with Maeve and I about holidays.

See, the thing is, Maeve had been reading her My First Christmas book every night before bed since July, just because it was in her room and she loved it, until it was replaced with some Wall-E books recently.  So that set the stage.  Then, with all the fear in my life in the last month, I started listening to Christmas music in the car as a coping mechanism, and it worked.  So Maeve fell in love with Christmas music.

Combine those two events with the fact that stores now carry Christmas trees and lights, and you have a toddler that is TOTALLY ready for Santa to come down the chimney any day now.

Luckily, she's not so worked up about it yet because of course, our tree isn't up, and won't be till the day after Thanksgiving.  But we are having fun listening to our Christmas music (because who can stop once you start?) and talking about how Christmas works. 

I know this year is going to be a truly great holiday season for Maeve, because she is going to Get It.  She really grasped Easter with alacrity this year, and although Halloween is still kind of a mystery for her, she loves the pumpkins and jack o'lanterns fiercely.

So if you are our friends, please forgive us if you hear me sing Maeve "Deck the Halls" for a lullaby, or catch her playing "snow globe" with her pom poms.  We're trying to keep it toned down, but with snow in the yard and a song in our hearts, who can blame us?


2 comments:

  1. I was raised to put Christmas off as long as possible, but now I have a husband who gets really excited about Christmas music. He wants to listen to some of his favorite songs all year long. We are currently planning an advent service (even before Thanksgiving) and trying to see how much Handel we can pull off in a congregational setting...I can't help catching his excitement. I'm glad to know that someone else is right there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the right crowd, I'd say lots of Handel!!! :)

      Delete