Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Benefits of Wal-Mart

"People have to follow their hearts, and if their hearts lead them to Wal-Mart, so be it. " -Maynard James Keenan

For many years, I have not been that big a fan of Wal-Mart.  In general, I dislike the politics of the company, and I am not fond of how they seem to be willing to do anything to anyone as long as it results in lower prices for Americans.  Also, going there on a Saturday morning is equivalent to having some kind of deathwish.

That being said, I found something I like about it when we went yesterday - on a weekday at 8am, which is the best way to go.  Their brand-name stuff can run cheaper than other stores.  I got Maeve a Sesame Street sippy cup and a Hello Kitty wall clock, and I think both of them had lower prices than, say, Target would have done for the same item.  And I don't love the GV brand, but those prices are, of course, super low.  I did get Maeve some generic toddler underwear which she just adores, so that was a win, too. 

Also, the staff I encountered were all super friendly and helpful, and although I find this is usually the case at Target, there are exceptions.  Another friend of mine wrote about her experiences at her local Wal-mart and Target, respectively, and came to the conclusion that the staff at her Wal-mart were friendlier, too.  Huh.

All this is to say that I was pleasantly surprised yesterday, and maybe even if you candidate didn't win last night, you will find ways to be pleasantly surprised in these next four years, even if you're sure you won't be.  Let life surprise you.


No comments:

Post a Comment