Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

She is Extraordinary

“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” ― Charles William Eliot

Yesterday seemed like quite an extraordinary day, as I watched my child do things she is not accustomed to.  It felt like a door opening so I could see into her future, and I loved it exuberantly.

At the library, Maeve usually flits like a dragonfly from one activity to the next, but yesterday she sat and played with that sort of beads on stiff, looped wires kind of toy for, I'm not kidding, like fifteen minutes.  She was totally absorbed, and I stayed close, ready for her to take off running, but she didn't, she just stuck with it and played.  My mind was pretty blown, as this is totally not normal behavior for her.

And twice yesterday, I caught her reading.  I don't mean she was sounding out words, but she was sitting with a book two times yesterday, just looking at it quietly, all by herself, and not asking me to read it by brandishing it at me belligerently, as she normally would.  Just quietly sitting, looking at books, and I thought, baby, this is the future.

Last of all, when we pick Daddy up from the bus stop, he always asks Maeve what we did that day.  It usually goes like this:
Daddy: What did you do today, Maevie?
Maeve: (deer in the headlights look)
Mommy: Where did we go to get new books today?
Maeve: .............the library?

Here's how it went yesterday:
Maeve: At the library there was a girl who was sad and she played with a green train and the little boy said CHOO CHOO when he played with the train...

I could not believe she remembered that many details and volunteered them to Daddy so easily!  My little bean is just getting sharper and sharper.  Okay, I promise I'm done bragging.  But boy do I love watching her change and grow, she astounds me.


No comments:

Post a Comment