Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Good Job, Momma!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.  - Leo Buscaglia

So, I can tell we're giving enough positive reinforcement to the kid.  In the last couple of weeks, she has very kindly encouraged me when I'm getting things right.  Once, I pulled a dry pair of mittens for her out of my coat pocked when she had soaked through the first pair in the wet snow.  She was so pleased I had them right there, she squeaked out, Good job, Momma!  I guess I'll take that as a thank you.

She also likes to quiz me about the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make.  Usually I try to turn it around on her since her alphabet skills, frankly, need more work than mine.  But sometimes I just end up answering her question, and when I do, she gets so excited, like it's some kind of breakthrough with me that she's been anxiously awaiting, and she yells out, Good JOB, Momma!

But, you know what?  I can use the encouragement.  So even though it may not be reinforcement for the kinds of things I really need it for, I just try to mentally apply it to the things I have done well that day.  It's awfully sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment