Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Impatience and Accomplishment

“The wisest are the most annoyed at the loss of time.”  ― Dante Alighieri

Maeve always wants to know what we're going to do in the mornings, since those are our usual regularly-scheduled activities.  She begs me, Where we goin' today, Momma? over and over, but I don't tell her where until we are literally ready to put on coats and shoes and walk out the door, because otherwise she has a tantrum from the moment I tell her where we're going until it's time to go.  It's not pretty.

Yesterday, I told her we were going to the Butterfly Pavilion because I wanted her to agree to getting dressed.  It worked, but I still needed to get dressed, so she headed downstairs to pick out a coat.  I heard a lot of grunting and frustration while I was putting on my clothes: It's not working, I can't do it!  Well, I'm a mom, so I kept calling out: Sure you can! Keep trying!  Not even knowing what she was trying to do.  But I wasn't hearing door handles jiggle, so it couldn't be too bad. 

When I finally get downstairs, I discover the child has put on two socks and one shoe.  And get this, the shoe was on the correct foot!  I guess sometimes impatience can accomplish what adult begging and cajoling cannot.  I will have to leave her in the mudroom, impatient and anxious to leave, more often!


No comments:

Post a Comment