Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Explaining Peter Pan

Do you ever have one of those moments when explaining something to your kid makes you realize how completely awesome it really is?

We picked up "Peter Pan" on DVD from Target this weekend because they were running a deal, and we have learned that if we want to complete our Disney DVD collection, we shouldn't dilly-dally because they will throw those things back in the "vault" before you can say Jiminy Cricket.  Maeve was looking at the box, and I was explaining the plot to her.

It's about a boy lives on a magical island where he never grows up.  And he brings a girl and her brothers there to visit.  And his best friend is a fairy.  And there are pirates and mermaids and ... well, let's say Native Neverlanders?  Oh, and they can fly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Peter Pan is one of the best stories ever told, which must be why I love most of its incarnations.  I love "Hook", I love the Peter and the Starcatchers books, I love the original book, of course, I love the live-action "Peter Pan" that came out a few years ago, I love Mary Martin pretending to be an ageless boy, I love the whole kit and caboodle. 

Now, Maeve may not be interested enough in this movie to want to watch it for awhile yet, and I can wait.  But telling her the plot made me realize, this story is really magical and amazing, and Mr. Barrie was a real genius for thinking of it.  And maybe some year Maeve will get to see the play done at Christmastime in England, as it is most often performed at that time.  I just love that I get the excuse to read and watch it all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment