Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

To Have, To Hold

 "Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! It is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken" - Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

If you know me at all, or read my Facebook posts at all, you know I am a big supporter of gay and straight marriage - just a big fan of marriage in general.  I think anybody who is in love and old enough to know it should be able to be married to the person with whom they are in love.  Just so you know, no one is going to change my mind on this, so don't try.  Trolls will be deleted without debate.

My aunt is getting married this weekend - well, here in Colorado the best we can do is a civil union, but that was a big step for us - so my aunt and her partner of more than ten years decided to tie the civil knot, as it were.  I know this will make their finances and hospital visits easier, plus it's just nice to be able to declare your love in front of friends and family, since that's what a wedding is really all about. 

When she called to tell me, I almost cried.  This has been such a long time coming, I had almost given up hope of there ever being a ceremony for them, so it was just spectacular news.  And when she asked if I'd sing with some of my old choir friends, of course I said I would love to!

Now I just have to get through what will likely be an emotional service for me without crying when I'm supposed to be singing.  And, how do I put this?  Since becoming a mom, my cry-trigger is not only more sensitive, it's WAY harder to shut down.  So I'm just going to carry tissues in my choir folder and hope for the best.

And I am so happy that these laws are being passed all over the country, because it means that someday, my daughter will probably be able to marry whoever she loves, and that is a great freedom.

My aunt is a very private person, which is why I'm using this picture of my husband and I.  But you get the idea.

1 comment: