Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Meeting New Old Friends

“There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.” -Jim Henson

So it hasn't happened yet, but I'm writing with great anticipation about meeting a family I have known online for two years.  Lesley and I have written for Get Born together for about that much time, and, having children roughly the same age, we have commiserated, encouraged, and generally helped get each other through some rough patches.  Plus, she is an awesome feminist activist whose activities I support and admire greatly, not to mention an amazing writer.

It was kind of funny, about six months ago, Lesley told me she had a friend who was living close to me, and asked if I'd like her contact info so we could meet up.  Not normally one for these kinds of adventures, I gave it a try, because I like Lesley so much, and any friend of hers must be pretty awesome.  Turns out that axiom was true, and I got to meet and make friends with Carrie, who also happens to wear just about the same size of clothes as I do, which has been a boon of great worth to me. 

Needless to say, I'm excited to meet Lesley and her family today.  Maeve is just bursting to meet her kiddos, and I am anticipating what I imagine will be a crushing bear-hug from my roaring mama-bear writer friend.  And how cool is it that we essentially got to know each other via our written work?  I feel like she knows me almost as well as all you dear people who've met me in person.  Anyway, pictures will be posted tomorrow, and I will keep on trying to contain my excitement till their family arrives at our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment