Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Scary Things are Fun

“… we have bad dreams because our brain is trying to protect us… If we can figure out a way to beat the imaginary monsters … Then the real monsters don’t seem so scary… That’s why we like reading scary stories.” ― Dan Poblocki, The Stone Child 

 So, my previously very timid child is now kind of getting into scary things.  In a very cute and harmless kind of way, for the moment.  But she likes books about monsters going to bed, little friendly ghosts, shadows, the dark, and Halloween. 

It's not difficult to find children's books that suit these themes, after all, most picture books with a "scary" character in them are still going to end well and not be very frightening.  But I'm still kind of scoping out shows or movies that might fit the bill.

I think the main issue with that is I try not to show her anything that I'm not willing to watch over and over and over, in case it becomes her favorite thing and I am doomed to just that.  So, poorly made, annoying, valueless cartoons do not often darken our screen.  Like, I don't like Scooby Doo in any incarnation, and the show's "values" are meager at best.  Caspar is not really my thing, and I still think she's too young for Nightmare before Christmas, although many people have contradicted me on that.

I just want her to find a pleasant thrill of fear and excitement while watching something that's not totally brain trash and not too old for her.  So we're working on it.  We did just get a giant box of David Tennant/Doctor Who dvds that includes some animated episodes... maybe that will fit the bill.  But I am open to suggestion, friends!

I said: look afraid of the dragon!  And this is what I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment