Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ingredients Don't Have Stickers

“You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.”  ― Mark TwainA Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Due to circumstances beyond my ken, I was celebrating the birthday of an imaginary bat who was afraid of the dark, yesterday. And what does a bat need for his birthday?  Yes. A fly-birthday-cake. Maeve wanted to put flour, sugar, and flies in this cake, and she cast about for a source of insects for the confection. It was snowy and foggy out yesterday, so she decided at long last we couldn't go outside to look for fly carcasses.

I pointed out to her that we could pretend to make the bat a cake, since we were imagining in the first place. So she grabbed a piece of red construction paper and announced that it could be our ingredients. That particular piece of paper was covered in stickers, which Maeve meticulously set about to pry off.

I inquired why the stickers needed to come off the paper, as I watched the pile of stickers create yet another mess on my floor, and Maeve looked at me with a mixture of sympathy for my stupidity and impatience. She sighed, and reminded me: Mom, ingredients don't have stickers.

Well now we know.

Our fog-frosted tree yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment