Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Friends

"Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need to know of hell."  ~Emily Dickinson, "Parting"

I'm not sure if it's been the timing of the thing, or what, but Maeve has been really, spectacularly bad at goodbyes lately. Every time she's played with a friend lately, she's wept inconsolably at their parting, as if they shall never meet again in this life. Simultaneously, she's been very casual about Daddy or I going places, it hardly seems to bother her at all. Although I've noticed when I return from my hour-long grocery shopping trip, I do often get tackle-hugged with exclamations of "I missed you SO MUCH!" But I chalked that up to hoping for a new snack from the grocery bags.

We're taking a trip to visit a friend up in Fort Collins today, and I think Maeve and I will talk about a strategy for saying goodbye without being too sad. Maybe we'll call it a "happy hug" and try to talk in the car about all the fun things we did, or something. I don't know what will work, but I know these long, sobbing goodbyes are not working for me and are stressing out her friends, too.

And on that note, I bid you farewell and good weekend to you!

Drowning her sorrows in Highlights for Children

No comments:

Post a Comment