Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

This is a Good Day


Look to this day:
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course
Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendour of achievement.

For yesterday is but a dream
And tomorrow is only a vision;
And today well-lived, makes
Yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well therefore to this day! -The Kalidasa


Sometimes as a parent, you rub off on your child in the best ways imaginable. It really does happen!

I have noticed that almost every day, Maeve says to me: This is a good day today. And, I love this time of year. Or, I love it when we _____ (take a walk together, hold hands, read a book together, etc.)

Isn't that fantastic? And I'm pretty sure all three of those are things I've said to her. I especially was cultivating the last one, as something to say for positive reinforcement, and to remind myself of the  good things about our days together. But nothing really equals the feeling of having taken Maeve out to do something fun and hear her say spontaneously, I love it when we go to the Zoo! It's a good day, Mommy!

What's funny to me is I didn't expect her to pick up any of those things. Like, I just say I love this time of year all the time, because I love something about every season and Maeve gives me someone to tell that to. I didn't think of it as something that would rub off on her. Although it cracks me up that when she's angry with me, she stomps her foot, crosses her arms, and tells me she DOESN'T like this time of year.

Maeve has taken to spontaneously commenting on what a beautiful day it is, too. Yup, I feel pretty good about that. I am starting to like this four year old thing more and more every day.

Now this is a good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment