Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I Love My New Job

"I promise you that there are a lot of people involved in various kinds of retail activities who think they have a crucial role in the economy, and they're right." -Lawrence Summers

Most people shudder when they look back on their brief career in retail. If you ever worked at a "big box store" then you know what I mean. The friendly but pushy superiors who really just want you to sell credit cards, not customer satisfaction, the uniforms, the rigid dialogue guidelines, all that nonsense. Not to mention working around the holidays, which quickly becomes an actual nightmare.

But working in a small business is totally different. I recently started a new job working at a small cooking and specialty food store in the town where I grew up, and it's one of the best jobs I've ever had. We all know how gutted I was at the loss of the wonderful Teenie Greenies, and this place doesn't have that wonderful aspect of helping parents and kids, but it's still something I'm passionate about.

It's hard to explain why I love working for small retail businesses, but I really do. I love making connections with people, helping them find just what they need, even if they didn't know the item existed. I love having one boss, who is actually friendly, and knowing I can be an asset to the company just by doing what comes naturally. And of course, it's a business, so there's always a bottom line, but if I do my job right, I don't have to worry too much about that.

So today I get to do what I love, and then come pick up my kiddo from my friend's house and spend the afternoon with her. And every time I do that, I don't feel that usual afternoon dread of what I am I going to do with this child for the next four hours? I just enjoy her, and feel refreshed. So that's awesome.

What, Mom, you LIKE retail?

No comments:

Post a Comment