Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Some Help in the Kitchen

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” ― Julia ChildMy Life in France

It used to be that Maeve had little to no interest in what I did in the kitchen unless I was making cookies and had given her some raw flour to eat. (She still likes a bowl of plain, raw flour and a spoon, it freaks me out.) But lately, she has gotten interested in what I'm making for dinner, and how.

We've now had many discussions about the difference between raw and cooked meat, what animals provided the meat we eat, and how a sauce or soup thickens, (yes, I've tried to explain to her the science behind a roux. No, I'm not sure I did it right.) She has helped me chop mushrooms with a table knife, she's a dab hand at snapping asparagus stalks, and she loves to stir the pot - literally.

I caught this little image of her last night, helping me make broccoli cheese soup for dinner. It made my heart soften a little to see my little ninja princess helping me do the thing I love doing so much, cooking for my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment