Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Heart Cracks

The last few posts have been about catching you up, about pictures. But today I want to tell you two stories, two stories I haven't told anyone yet.

Two days ago, Maeve cracked my heart wide open, just because she was quietly singing along with the song in the car. Have you ever heard Wanting Memories, by Sweet Honey in the Rock? Listen to it here, if you want. It's a beautiful, heartbreaking song about coping with loss, but I love it. Here are a few of the lyrics:

I am sitting here wanting memories to teach me
To see the beauty in the world through my own eyes.

You said you'd rock me in the cradle of your arms.
You said you'd hold me ‘til the storms of life were gone.
You said you'd comfort me in times like these and now I need you.
Now I need you...
And you are -
gone.

Just hearing her sing that totally broke me. I hope, I hope very much, that when I am gone, that song will comfort her. But oh, gosh. I do love that she's learning some of these songs of my heart, songs that give me courage and hope.

The other story is this. I asked Maeve what she did in center time at school yesterday, and she reported me nonchalantly that she played house with her friends. A house with two mommies and a baby. 

If you know me, you know that it's important to me that Maeve understands and values all sorts of families. And I understand if that's not your cup of tea, but it means a lot to me. I love to believe I'm raising Maeve in a world that's going to continue becoming kinder to people of all orientations, and although I knew she was understanding the concepts, it's nice to see them coming out in play.

So, my heart is full already. I just know I'm going to have a great Mother's Day this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment